SARS- COV- 2 in Peritoneal fluid- Potential Risks?

1 Like

LikeAnswersShare
This paper in annals of surgery is by Corresponding author- FEDERICO COCCOLINI MD General, emergency and trauma surgery, Pisa university hospital, PISA , ITALY. This study indicates that the viral load in the peritoneal fluid was higher compared to the upper respiratory material and suggests that the surgical operation was a indeed a procedure at risk of infection. This new result poses an important warning for the safety of the operating staff and requests an immediate update of the rules to protect the surgical teams All surgical procedures in fact may potentially provoke aerosolisation of the virus and the infection of the personnel. Either laparoscopic or open surgical procedures may result in gas/ vapor forming maneuver. Electrocautery, advanced coagulation and cutting devices produce gas and vapor that aerosolize the peritoneal fluid and consequently the virus. Previous studies demonstrated activated corynebacterium, HPV , hepatitis B virus and HIV in surgical smoke Thanks
Solution is that in all surgical cases in future - COVID-19 test - Elisa should be routinely performed as many private labs including lal path have been authorized to conduct COVID tests .Cost of surgical procedures will increase with Routine COVID, HIV , hepatitis B and hepatitis C tests before surgery which may add extra Rupees 8000- 10000 burden on the patient
Yes It is a grave potential risk to surgeon, GI surgeon, gynaecologist, laparoscopic surgeon Any suction in peritoneal cavity can cause aerosolisation, which can cause transmission of disease
I agree
Difficult situation, how safe is the peritoneal lavage in washing the peritoneum during laparatomy, Care need to be taken
I agree
Routine cases are to be examined and tested for virus. Emergency surgery to be examined also precautionary
I agree
I agree. Informative and useful. I have that article. thanks

Cases that would interest you