56/ F K/C/O DCMP, PAH, TYPE II RESPIRATORY FAILURE, H/O: PPI EXPLANTATION DUE TO INFECTIVE ENDOCARDITIS. C/O -BREATHLESSNESS SINCE 2-3 DAYS, AGGRAVATED SINCE MORNING. -NAUSEA+ -COUGH WITH MINIMAL EXPECTORATION SINCE 2-3 DAYS PATIENT INTUBATED DUE TO RESPIRATORY DISTRESS. PCO2 - 90 DURING INTUBATION. NOW ON INVASIVE VENTILATION VITALS:         HR:75BPM         SPO2:95%         RR:18/M RESPIRATORY ASSESSMENT: ON AUSCULTATION: B/L AE: PRESENT, BUT DECREASED IN THE LEFT SIDE. CHEST EXPANSION: DECREASED IN THE LEFT SIDE. DD FOR THE CURRENT VIEW OF THE X-RAY CHEST. PROBABLE CAUSE?

2 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Homogeneous opacity left chest. With gross shifting of the cardiac shadow on the same side.. Trachea is also shifted to the left Suggestive left lung collapse.. Endotracheal tube looks deep down.. May need withdrawal an inch or two.. Repeat x-ray is needed after endotracheal tube repositioning.. The left lung may expand if due to E t tube.. Cect may be needed if repositioning is unhelpful..
Looks to me a case of single lung ventilation... Leading to collapse of left lung

View 1 other reply

Need to correct the ET tube positioning first. It should not be more than 22cm. Need to do good suctioning if feasible and to look repeat CXR. If not improved or mildly improved , need to do ultrasound left side of chest for confirmation. If massive effusion- go for tap. If minimal effusion and collapse is predominant , assess for re- suctioning or Bronchoscopy depending on ABG or FiO2 requirement.
Collapase lt lung may be obstructive(mucous plug).ET in Rt Broncus.further clinical detail required like percussion.i feel pull Et Ventillate.Bronchosopy will be helpful.
Left lingular collapse or left destroyed lung with right descending pulmonary artery prominent s/o pulmonary hypertension
I have suspected collapse left lower lobe and on bronchoscopy mucous plug found. Post procedure X-RAY chest.
looks like case of right main stem intubation. pull out d tube an inch or two n repeat d chest x ray.
left lung collapse due to only get lung ventilation ...pull out et by 3 cm atleast
left lung collapse as trachea pulled on same side. No e/o plueral effusion.
Pleural effusion left, rule out pulmonary koch's.
et tube is in rt main bronchus
Load more answers