Leucorrhoea is a thick , whitish or yellowish vaginal discharge which is mainly experienced during puberty, when sexual organs are developing in a women. The term leucorrhoea should be restricted to those condition when the normal vaginal secretion is increase in amount. In homoeopathy this is taken as symptom, not a disease. This is very common complaint and roughly one in three women is with complain of excessive vaginal discharge in daily clinical experience. The symptom of excessive discharge is a subjective one with individual variation, while to declare it to be normal and not an effective one. Every women has periodically some normal vaginal discharges, which maintain the chemical balance and the flexibility of vaginal muscle.
If leucorrhoea is generally defined as white fluid discharged from female genital, may leads to wrong interpretation by the physicians because sometimes it flows as liquid and sometime it is sticky and thick. Its property changes according to the age of the women or when they travel too much. Vaginal discharges up to a certain extent are normal and healthy as they flush out the dead cells of reproductive organs and other toxic organisms. If female found leucorrhoea as thick, sticky, white and inflammatory than she may go for medical check up. When female suffers with symptoms perceivable and discharged abnormal, if there is profuse and unstoppable discharge which requires pad or it is not white but grey-white, yellow, green, brown or rust like in colour and causes itching, it is a critical condition which necessitates serious treatment.
Symptoms of leucorrhoea
Main symptom of the leucorrhoea are excessive vaginal discharge, pain in the thighs, calf muscles and burning micturition etc. The discharges may be accompanied with foul smelling and itchy sensation or a pain at the infected area.
Other associated symptoms like breathlessness, headache and giddiness, indigestion, paleness, anorexia, pain in menstruation, general weakness, poly-urea, pain & heaviness in lower abdomen, constipation, anemia, local soreness, lumbago, malaise and purities may also be found in the patient.
Its major cause is hormonal imbalance especially of estrogen. It is primary female sex hormone which is responsible for the regulation and development of the female reproductive system and secondary characteristics of female. It also controls various body functions of a female. Some time estrogen imbalance in female body may lead to sterility.
Cervical – Non- infective cervical lesion may produce excessive secretion , which pours out from the vulva. Such lesions are cervical ectopic, chronic cervicitis , mucous polyp and ectropion (cervical glands are exposed to the vagina).
Vaginal – Increased vaginal transdution occurs in conditions associated with increased pelvic congestion. The conditions are uterine prolapsed, acquired retroverted uterus, chronic pelvic inflammation , ‘pill’ use and vaginal adenoids. Ill health is one of the important causes of excessive discharge. It produce excess exfoliation of the superficial cells.
Other causative factors of the disease are – Infections from bacteria, fungi or parasites- protozoa, Early / young age pregnancy , Spread of infection from urinary tract, Inflammation of uterus, Injuries to the vagina, the womb or the cervix, Allergy or contact dermatitis, Pelvic inflammatory disease, Contraceptives used by women, Lack of cleanliness or poor hygienic measures especially during menses, Gonorrhea, Gout, Syphilis, Displacement of uterus ,Arthritis, Typhoid , Diabetes and anemia can provoke infection due to weakened immunity, Mental anxiety and sexual frustration , Some sexually transmittable diseases, one of them is trichomoniasis which makes discharge greenish or yellow in color.
Cleanliness of genitals parts and do not moisture retain in the genitals area after the bath and clean the inner wear and yourself , also wash vagina after urinating, self medication should be avoided, drink plenty of water to flush out the toxic substances from the body, mushrooms must be avoided in diet as they are fungi themselves, hot and spicy food should be reduced to the least in diet, avoid the intake of alcohol etc.
Some suggested homoeopathic medicines that are used by physicians to treat leucorrhoea are
1. ALUMINA – Alumina is used in cases of uncleanliness of female genitalia during the period of menstruation, which further leads to leucorrhoea . Mainly, Discharges of the patient are acrid, profuse, transparent and ropy, with burning sensation in genitalia. This burning sensation is relived by washing the parts with cold water. Yellowish mucus runs through medial aspect of thighs down to heels, with scanty, delayed and pale menses and leucorrhoea. It is also effective medicine where leucorrhoea is with constipation and anemia. Patient has abnormal craving for charcoal, chalk, mud etc. Leucorrhoea is worse during daytime and after menses. Dryness of all the mucous membranes of the skin and the vagina runs all through the remedy.
2. BORAX – Homoeopathy medicine borax is used in cases where leucorrhoea is white as like an egg with sensation as if hot fluid is flowing through genitalia. Menses of the patient are too early and profuse with griping pain in abdomen. Leucorrhoea is worse after menses and relived by washing the parts with cold water. Mainly borax is used in cases where general cause of leucorrhoea is found as ill health and malnutrition. In mental sphere patient is extremely anxious about future with voluptuous dreams.
3. KREOSOTUM – Homoeopathy medicine kreosotum is used in cases where corrosive itching with in the vulva is marked during the flow of leucorrhoea. We can also use medicine when burning and swelling of labia with violent itching is found in the patient. Sometimes poor general health before puberty with unclean personal hygiene and anemia may cause leucorrhoea. Leucorrhoea is offensive and also intermittent.
4. NATRUM MURIATICUM – Homoeopathy medicine natrum muriaticum is an effective medicine for leucorrhoea when prolapse of the uterus causes cervical erosion, and chronic cervicitis which leads to excessive vaginal discharges in the patient. Leucorrhoea is acrid, watery and worse in the morning with cutting type of pain in urethra. Leucorrhoea is white in the beginning but turns green afterwards indicate natrum muriaticum as a medicine. In association we also found associated problems like patient is very sensitive as far as genitalia is concerned due to dryness of vagina. Patient craves for salt and she is thirsty with unquenchable thirst for cold water and feels better after drinking the same. In mental sphere patients are usually sad and melancholic due to suppression of grief, anger and desire.
5. PLATINA – Homoeopathy medicine platina is used in cases where genital organs are exceedingly sensitive. She cannot bear even the napkin to touch her private parts. Inflammatory conditions of ovaries and Fallopian tubes runs all through remedy. In post menopausal women, uterine polyps, decubitus ulcer and prolapsed of uterus are responsible for leucorrhoea but uterine fibroids and uterine carcinoma also plays an important factor in leucorrhoea. Leucorrhoea during parturition causes violent cramps in limbs and profuse hemorrhage, with hysterical and puerperal convulsion.Mainly, the aliments for complaints are due to shock, excitement, disappointment, grief, fright etc. Mental symptoms always alternate with physical symptoms.. Alternating moods like at one moment she laughs and at next moment she is sad and weepy indicates use of remedy in totality of the complaint with leucorrhoea.
6. SILICEA – Homoeopathy remedy silicea is indicated in cases where leucorrhoea is milky and acrid but comes during urination. Patient also suffers from intense itching of vulva and vagina. The parts are very sensitive. There is lack of assimilation in the patient and she also suffer from anemia which may cause leucorrhoea. Although, in mental sphere patient is nervous, excitable and sensitive to all impressions. There is lack of confidence and stamina. Among all striking features silicea is a great remedy which is used to treat wide range of female complaints.
7. HELONIAS – Homoeopathy medicine helonias is used in cases whee leucorrhoea is with severe burning and itching in the vulva region. Patient Feels of weight and soreness in the womb. She may also suffer from severe backache after vaginal discharges indicate helonias as a remedy for the patient. Leucorrhoea is thick and yellow, especially after miscarriage and genital parts are hot, red and swollen which are taken as associated complaints by physicians.
8. GRAPHITIS – Homoeopathy medicine graphitis is used in cases where leucorrhoea appears before and after menses. Mainly, it is very much acrid and excoriating that occurs in gushes of the day and night. Although, graphitis keeps its value to treat large number of female complaints in association with leucorrhoea.
9. MEDORRHINUM – Homoeopathy medicine medorrhinum is used in cases where leucorrhoea is thin, acrid, excoriating and with fishy odor. It is associated with ovarian pain,i.e., worse on left side.
Leucorrhoea is commonly defines as excessive vaginal discharge from the body. Among its symptomatology homoeopathy materia medica contains large number of medicines (from which some are given above) to treat it with an holistic approach. Homoeopathy treat patient with permanent restoration of the health by removal and annihilation of the disease in its whole extent in shortest and most harmless way. Potency of medicines may vary from patient to patient and it depends on the proper examination of the patient by physician.
In today’s scenario, females must be aware of these discharges and if they found these discharges in excessive amount than proper examination must be taken by proper prevention and if treatment is advised by physician than homoeopathy gives better results than any other modes of treatments.