Concluded Case

LEPROSY WITH TROPHIC ULCER PRESEN HYPOPIGMENTED INDETERMINATE PATCHES

70 years old non-diabetic was referred with (Figures 1-2) for Hansen disease. On examination there were multiple hypopigmented lesions at legs (Figure 3). Skin biopsy was done (Figure 4). After skin biopsy a course of Augmentin 625 was given for 8 days. After Histopathology study MDT for leprosy was started. Figures 5-6 shows marked improvement after one month of MDT for leprosy. MDT for leprosy will be continue for 6- 12 months. Please share your views about this case. Thank you.

1 Like

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
Only with 8 days of Augmentin and then 1 month of MDT for leprosy, the improvement in this case is an exception. But smile on face of motherly old lady was the greatest reward I got in my life. First step to beat leprosy is to diagnose and treat as early as possible. In approximately 82% of cases of leprosy diagnosis is delayed like in this case. Determinate leproay i.e. TT, BT, BB, BL and LL is easy to diagnose. However Inderminate presentation of leprosy may be easily missed. Hypopigmentated Indeterminate patches are not unusual.
All Answers
Only with 8 days of Augmentin and then 1 month of MDT for leprosy, the improvement in this case is an exception. But smile on face of motherly old lady was the greatest reward I got in my life. First step to beat leprosy is to diagnose and treat as early as possible. In approximately 82% of cases of leprosy diagnosis is delayed like in this case. Determinate leproay i.e. TT, BT, BB, BL and LL is easy to diagnose. However Inderminate presentation of leprosy may be easily missed. Hypopigmentated Indeterminate patches are not unusual.