CHARAK SERIES Chapter - 1 ( Sutra Sthana ) Deergha Jivitiya Adhyaya " Life is a Book, just Turning the pages one by one it is difficult to learn. Stay tune with a single page and See how the writer describe his imaginations/ experiences in the 1st page." May the 1st page......attract you to complete the full book on that day or May it is too boring that you keep the book on shelves for life time. Just an Intro....!!! Namaste !!! Glad to represent the next part of this series. My sincere request to all - 1. Give 5 minutes from your busy schedule and mindfully read the portions. May it is not the best, but sure you gain a lot, know a lot about ancient methods of teaching, Guru - Shishya relationships, .....if nothing just a revision of " Charak Samhita"...recapitulation of "Ancient wisdom of Ayurveda ". 2. Not just comment like " Excellent Post" " Nice update", " Wonderful Session ". ," Informative post "....like these means you are enough busy , just seeing the articles and comment like On Chatting in " What's Up". My sincere request to all, may or may not be it is Praiseworthy ; Kindly give suggestions, ideas, new approach methods to improve this series which is burnt now in my single mind. I have received 2 suggestions till yet from @Dr. Kasi Harika and @Dr. Sonia P. Joseph Maams, to add PRECAP and to delete the unnecessary RECAP respectively. I have already adopt the idea given by @Dr. Kasi Harika Ma'am and requesting all to give suggestions regarding deletion of " RECAP" part as suggested by @Dr. Sonia P. Joseph Ma'am. .............RECAP............... Till now we have discussed - 1. Necessity and Descendance of AYURVEDA in to Earth. 2.Importance of Aarogyata ( Health ) and Role of Saint Bharadwaj in the descendance process. 3. Descendance of Ayurveda as TRISUTRA ( HETU, LINGA, AUSHADHA SUTRA ) 4. TRISUTRA as Why, What and How ?? along with its convergence under Preventive and Curative aspect of Ayurveda. 5. Names of " Sad - Padarthas" as described in Ayurveda. 6. Qualities of Guru or Vaidya ( Shrotevya, DrushtaKarma,Anadhikam,AnabaSheshayan, Matriparah,SarvaBhuta Anukampaya or SarbaVuta Daya ) 7. Aatreya School of KayaChikitsha and his 6 disciples ( Ancient methods of teaching and the method of recommendation and acceptance of a new Tantra publicly ). ..........Today's Discussion ............. Before going to Today's important discussion about " Definition of Ayurveda" and " Definition of Aayu" , we must find out the cause behind the description of these definitions just after 40 Shlokas. Against to this procedure, in current books of modern sciences ( e.g. Biology ), we find the definition on the 1st para i.e. Biology starts with Bios + Logus and their details of meanings. Then what was the need and mode of understanding at that time to describe the definition, Maharshi Agnivesha took 40 shlokas. Indeed it is a question of importance for us. Let us analyse the possible causes : 1. At that time before starting a new work, it is a geneal tradition that they start it with the emergence , basic fundas of a Science. 2. As it is text described in the way of conversation between Guru and Shishya, so Guru has the responsibility to give a basic idea about its origin, necessity, importance and basic fundamentals first , then go into depth of the subject. There were many possibilities regarding method of approach of past, we have to think over it !!!!! Definition of Ayurveda- -------- " Hita - Ahitam Sukham -Dukham Aayuh Tasya Hita - Ahitam. Manam cha Tat cha Yatra uktam Ayurvedah Sa Uchyate. " ( Ch. Su. 1/ 41 ) ----------- The text where the details of - Hita Aayu - Aahita Aayu - Sukha Aayu - Dukha Aayu are described and details of procedures ( Aahar, Vihar, Aushadha,, Pathya - Apathya)by which these can be increased ( Hita ) or decreased ( Ahita) alongwith its Mana ( i.e. Pramanam or duration ) and it's Swarupa ( characteristics or appearances ) ( mentioned in Shloka as " Tat cha" ) are described i.e. called " Ayurveda " The details of these 4 types of Aayu are described later. Definition of Aayu ( Life Span ) - ------- " Sharir Indriya Satwa Aatma Sanjogo Dhari Jivitam. Nityaga cha Anuvandha cha Paryaye Aayu Uchyate ". ( Ch. Su. 1/42 ) -------- The time extent upto which our body , Sense organs , Satwa ( a synonym of mind ) and Souls are in intact ( i.e. joined in a unbroken manner ) ( means these 4 maintains a healthy relationship in between and worked jointly) is called " Aayu " ( or Aayusha or Life Span ). It has many synonyms ( Paryaya) like - 1. Dhari ( means Dharana Kari i.e. by which the materialistic body sustains ) 2. Jivita ( means live i.e. by its existence one is called alive) 3. Nityaga ( means Nitya i.e. daily i.e. it progresses daily without any break or disruption) 4. Anuvandha ( means Anu - To follow , Vandha - by a binding force i.e. the Aayu always follow the Soul by a force of attraction ) Here the point to mark is that - For describing Aayu Agnivesha used 4 items 1. Sharira - Body 2. Indriya - Sense organs 3. Satwa - Mind 4. Aatma - Soul and also described 4 synonyms of " Aayu " 1. Dhari 2. Jivita 3. Nitya 4. Anuvandha I mean to say - 1. When Aayu is combined with Sharira or when Aayu responsible for sustainability of "Sharira" ( Body ) - it is called " Dhari " 2. When Aayu is combined with Indriya or responsible for activities of Indriyas ( Sense organs ) - it is called " Jivita " ( life can only be predicted when our sense organs doing their job perfectly ) 3. When Aayu is combined with Satwa ( Mind ) then it is called " Nitya " ( As Mann or Mind is always active even at sleep or after death also in Sukshma Sharira) 4. When Aayu is combined with Aatma ( Soul ) then it is called " Anuvandha" ( means Aayu always follows the " Soul " or binds with the soul upto a living entity exist ) Let us conclude this discussion here, Hope ! the comparison is perfect as per my assumption. Hope ! it is liked by all. Now is the time to give rest to my Mind and Pen. ........................PRECAP....................... Tomorrow , we will discuss in details of " Sad Padartha Vijnanam" part by part. Thanks, With regards, Vaidya Niranjan Ram

(Edited)

9 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
@Dr. Aditya ,@Dr. Devender Kamboj ,@Dr. Himanshu Verma ,@Dr. P. G. Shah ,@Dr. Kartik Kota ,@Dr. Jamil Ahmed ,@Dr. Yogeshkumar Manani ,@Dr. Yogesh Jatav ,@Dr. Arun Chhajer ,@Dr. Rangarajan B ,@Dr. Giridhar Karajgaonkar ,@Dr. Rajan N. Iyer ,@Dr. Sanjay Kumar Mallick ,@Dr. Md Shahbaz Ali ,@Dr. Hemender Singh ,@Dr. Amitesh Shukla ,@Dr. Shukla Vikram Sirs, @Dr. Mugdha Kulkarni ,@Dr. Sonali Agashe ,@Dr. Sonia . ,@Dr. Sonia P. Joseph ,@Dr. Komal Patil ,@Dr. Krishna Kumari ,@Dr. Aditi Mangsuli ,@Dr. Poonam Khot Maams, Dear@Vikas Rathod ,@Akshay Tandle ,@Kalpana N ,@Chhavi Rosha and @Roshni R Kindly go through the today's post and predict possible suggestions to make it more sweet and palatable.
@Dr. Niranjan Ram . Sorry for delayed response, specially when u r putting all sincere efforts in each word of difficult aspects of samhita. Put everything 4x4. Sarir, indriya, satva, Atma and synonyms with specified reasons. It's the depth of Sanskrit bhasha. The things that were so difficult in ug time. R well explained by you. Also I can see the maturity of ayurveda that now the same things can be interpreted with more depth. The role if each acharya is well defined. I am just thinking that if all texts would have been available today. Then no doubt. Ayurveda would have been the top most therapy In the world. Thanks
Totally agree with your version Sir.
@Dr. Niranjan Ram Sir... Firstly kindly accept my apologies for the delay in reply. I was tied up with work and did not want to read your post hurriedly. Secondly, I have a solution for you to do away with the Recap. Kindly link all the posts that you have written in the Charaka Series till now in order. And when you write a new post you just have to link it to previous post. This way anyone can go through previous posts. To link a post you just have to click on "is this an update to a previous case" at the top of your post. Hope this helps
I will follow this one Sir, really the best solution And I know and give value to the hard work of yours as an Anesthesiologist. Really a tough season I also spent during ICU 1 yr. Job in Vivekananda Hospital@Dr. Kartik Kota Sir.

View 1 other reply

Very nicely compared with sharir, indriy, satwa, aatma with dhari jivita nitya anuvandha... Hats off to your explanation.. I hope every Ayurveda student may meet teacher like you... Just another reference for anadi, anant Ayurveda which i found is सोयेऽमायुर्वेद: शाश्वतो निर्दिश्यते,अनादित्वात्, स्वभावसंसिद्धलक्षणत्वात्, भावस्वभाव नित्यत्वाच्च। च.सू.30 अर्थात् यह आयुर्वेद अनादि होने से, अपने लक्षण के स्वभावत: सिद्ध होने से, और भावों के स्वभाव के नित्य होने से शाश्वत यानी अनादि अनन्त है।
Sir , We have discussed its Anaditwa and Saswata in another episode ...... in a different look. Thanks for your overall support and nice words for this little guy@Dr. Sushant Revadekar Sir.

View 1 other reply

Thank for considering n adopting my suggestion sir...Giving recap of the previous topics of the series is actually a good one no need to skip it as it can help the new readers to check n go through the missed previous topics n u hve already concised it to short...U r requesting us not to appreciate u but it's really a hard task for us to stop so....After gng through ur fabulous made easy explanations...Great effort keep gng n thanks again@Dr. Niranjan Ram sir
I think you can directly restart the session without recap. I think everybody should read each and every word of each post which is worth reading so there is least requirement of recap . I am not saying Recap is not required but you should put efforts on regular discussion rather than taking efforts on recap . I THINK YOU SHOULD SKIP RECAP AND DIRECTLY START DISCUSSION. THANKS AND REGARDS
Very nice teaching sir... Keep it up... It makes us easy to understand Ayurveda basics from you.. Usually I didn't get time from Opd and family work but I also love Ayurveda too.. @ both of us @Dr. Sushant Revadekar has respect to our pathy.. We teach each other the basics, vice a versa... Thanks
It is so nice to meet you Maam on Curofy,@Dr. Sushant Revadekar Sir once mentioned about yourself and about yours joint respect to each other pathy.

View 1 other reply

Never understood 2nd sloka "sharir indriya satva atma samyoge dhari jivitam" In such a deeper manner Only understood as these 4 things combine to form sharir and other 4 as synonyms of ayu Thankyou for enlightening @Dr. Niranjan Ram sir
That's the secrecy ....We have to explore it is Devnagri script.....One word 1000 meanings.

View 1 other reply

Nicely explained sir@@Dr. Niranjan Ram .. It becomes easy to undstand.. Liked the last para..ie aayu sambandha with sharir, indriya satwa atma. I agree with u @@Dr. Sushant Revadekar sir..
Thank you Ismat Ji..

View 2 other replies

Fully agreeing with Dr.Anirudhe Lele Sir's opinion.. That is what I meant .100% true..Keep going enlightening each one every day with fantastic explanations persuading all to going deep into Ayurveda..
Means Maam, No Recap...But some says it need, What I do ?

View 3 other replies

Load more answers

Cases that would interest you