COVID 19 INDUCED HYPERGLYCEMIA & DKA WHEN COMPARED TO NON COVID T2DM

Dear my friends and fellow Colleagues, Here is an update on COVID 19 induced Hyperglycemia & DKA. COVID-19 can lead to hyperglycaemic emergencies & prolonged Ketosis in patients with Diabetes which may require high dose of Insulin infusion compared to DKA developing in Non COVID patients. A study from UK. Lancet Diabetes & Endocrine, July,2020. Regards and thanks, Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan.

12 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Dear my friends and @Dr Vishal Hussain, After seeing your answer I just wanted to add some facts regarding COVID 19. There is a huge difference between so called any infection and COVID 19 infection with regards to level of Hyperglycemia. Usually we use Insulin in any Acute Infections in concomitant Diabetes. The dosage and the regimen of Insulin Therapies may vary from infection to infection. But COVID19 Per Se induces Transient Diabetes which leads to Hyperglycaemic Crisis including DKA in individuals with no history of Diabetes in the past. That makes a very big difference in COVID 19 where it may cost a life even. So we have to be very vigilant in patients suffering from Diabetes with COVID 19 or No Diabetes with COVID 19. This is typically called COVID 19 induced Diabetes which results in Severe Hyperglycemia with Crisis/DKA. If there is no DKA in COVID 19, one can use Insulin and Metformin because of the Pleiotropic effects of Metformin. This is the only one OAD that can be used in COVID19 along with Insulin. Regards and thanks, Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan.
@Sepuri Krishna Mohan Sir in any infection higher dosage of insulin required.. What is different in covid... ... Thanks please give your valuable inputs
Valuable opinion

View 1 other reply

Useful update ,thank you ,Sir. Old timers used to call Syphilis as UNIVERSAL MIMICKER . Covid is its successor. !!
Valuable opinion

View 1 other reply

Dr sepuri Your post means a non diabetic becomes diabetic on covid19 infection That is covid induced diabetes
Absolutely yes dear Godara Sir, But most of the times it's a temporary phenomenon sir.

View 2 other replies

Thanks dr sepuri as u are day by day improving curofiens knowledge By posts on various topics
Valuable opinion