A 18year old girl with complaints of itching and irritation for past 20 days. Similar complaints one month back for which she was prescribed gatifloxacin eye drops for one week but symptoms recurred after temporary relief for 10 days. Identify the lesion.

5 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Allergic conjunctivitis. Internal hordeolum has a swelling over the lids away from the lid margin seen on general inspection. On everting the lid we see you can observe erythema and pus point for which you can do incision and curettage Meibomitis again has frothy discharge at the lid margin along with the pouted opening of the glands.

Not a very clear picture but it looks like allergic conjunctivitis when correlating with the symptoms . I'm assuming the symptoms were bilateral. 1)Simple tip to rule out internal hordeolum: In addition to the swelling on the lid, on examination of the lid margin, the opening of the affected meibomian gland will be inflamed and projecting out. 2) Meibomitis has many presentations. Most commonly, a frothy discharge over lid margin. Another is a toothpaste like secretion on pressure over the meibomian glands. Yet another is an oil droplet like discharge on pressure over the glands

We shouldnt miss simple diagnosis like this as we encounter these conditions everyday. I request Shobana to please accept the correct answer

Firstly a hordeolum internum wud not cause any itching...ya mild irritation can be there....plus u wud see a swelling on the lid and when u every the lid u can see the inflamed meibomian gland. Secondly to me it's unlikely to be meibomitis coz meibomitis gen affects a little older age group....little less in a 18year old.....also from the pic there seems no frothiness on lid margin....and a patient with meibomitis gen complaints of sticky watery thing in the eye always..yes irritation and heaviness in eyes.... to me this looks like a case of allergic conjunctivitis.. can see papillary reaction though not a very clear pic... which needs anti allergy eyedrops....some lubricants...if severe a low strength steroid like loteprednol can be started....and cold compresses.... kindly elicit history of contact lens wear... take vision...correct refractive error if any after allergy subsides

Gate will work only for bacterial inf. Here u hav to DD.....Allergy dry eye. refractive error......systemic cause pls rule out all this n proper history...n imp...is vision

allergy of long use of KAJAL??

HDD CONCRETIONS U PALPEBRAL CONJUCTIVA IMPACTED F BODY SULCUS SUB TSRSALIS

Vernal conjunctivitis...steroid eye drops and antihistamine eye drops will be helpful

Trachoma

Allergy Certzine once daily

Load more answers