A pt presents with chief c/o marked f.body sensation in eye . Her vn is ok. There's no trauma to eye. No f.body is found in eye inspite of careful examination on slit lamp biomicroscope. . There's no infection in eye. There is a doubtful epithelial defect on cornea near limbus at 3'oclock position even when examined on slit lamp biomicroscope. Unfortunately fluoresceine stain is not available. How will u confirm the lesion to be an epithelial defect ?

LikeAnswersShare

I always have ' fl ' stain with me , but unfortunately, this time i didn't have this stain , or any other stain. The lesion was a DOUBTFUL corneal epithelial defect near limbus. In such a situation , i throw a beam of slit lamp light on the suspected lesion & slowly, i change the angle of beam & at the same time i look for the shadow of lesion & movement of shadow on the iris . If a shadow is seen on the iris & it moves with the change in the direction of light beam , it definitely suggests the lesion to be a corneal epithelial defect.

THE EPETHELIAL DEFECT AS SUCH CAN BE DETECTED ON SLIT LAMP BY SEEING BREAKS IN THE CORNEAL SURFACE HOWEVER FOR ANY ACTIVITY DERECTION FLUORESENE STAIN IS VERY IMPORRANT ONE CAN HAVE OTHER STAINS LIKE ROSE BENGAL

Thank you doctor

Rose bengal or Lessamine green provides provides knowledge of ocular surface Rose bengal detects epithelial damage in dry eye

Thank you doctor

Diseases Related to Discussion