Concluded Case

Prepartum and post partum physiological edema

A cattle HF, about to parturate, showing edematous swelling around the udder, temperature 100 F, tachycardia, and scanty mucoid vaginal discharge ( from 2-3 days) feed intake is normal, CMM is normal, coughing frequently. when per rectal was performed calf limbs were palpated in the pelvic cavity. Any suggestions as to what must be done?

1 Like

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
Preparation edema is a normal finding so we should wait till few days post partum
All Answers
Preparation edema is a normal finding so we should wait till few days post partum
Thank you doctor
Oedema is physiological.as temperature and feeding is normal,no need to worry.
Thank you doctor
as per the history provided the animal is normal in its health . u r stated about parturition - normally cows take an average of 278 / 279 days as per my dairy farm experience , usually 270 to 280 day's are required from date of AI . scanty mucous - since the animal is approaching date of calving the mucous discharge increases, it is physiological n normal . feeding n CMM r normal it is o.k coughing - that is because of increased pressure on thoracic cavity because of advanced pregnancy . per rectal examination - you felt the limbs it has to b examined for foetal movements n bumping n would have examined for fremitus that reveals foetus is living . it is o.k calculate the gestation period n fix the date of calving to 278 days + / - 3 days from the dt of AI ask th animal owner to provide the less protein food or to reduce the concentrate food till date of calving n also reduce green fodder instead dry fodder can b provided it helps to reduce of pregnancy oedema , allow for drinking water normally , if udder oedema is going severe before or after parturition use anti inflamatoy's , anti histamines n diuretics, one course as per dosages .
Very valuable insight Dr thank you very much
I don't think it is worrisome. Let you wait and watch and keep the patient under strict observation.
Ok sir
Wait for parturition
I also advised the farmer to wait for 2 days sir