Concluded Case

INFECTED DENTIGEROUS CYST ASSOCIATED WITH IMPACTED 45.

"A Case of DENTIGEROUS CYST associated with impacted lower right second premolar reported in a 12 years old male patient along with an IMPACTED SUPERNUMERARY tooth in left upper posterior teeth region." Dentigerous cyst are the most common developmental cyst of the jaws & second most common odontogenic cysts after radiular cyst caused by fluid accumulation between reduced enamel epithelium & enamel surface of a formed/ forming tooth. Discussing my Case: Patient reported with C/C of mildly painful swelling over the right lower 1/3rd of face since 8 months. I/O examination showed grossly decayed 46 & 36, missing 45 along with solitary oval shaped swelling w.r.t 44 45 46 region causing partial obliteration of lower buccal vestibule. On palpation, it's bony hard , mildly tender with no localized rise in temperature but showed bucco-lingual cortical plate expansion. Electric pulp testing showed delayed response of 47 & 44. Based upon history & clinical examination the provisional diagnosis (PD) of BENIGN ODONTOGENIC LESION was made and D/D of 1).Radicular cyst 46, 2).Dentigerous cyst impacted 45, 3).OKC, 4).Adenomatoid odontogenic tumour, 5).Central giant cell granuloma and 6).Odontogenic myxoma were considered. IOPA showed vertically impacted 45 with associated homogenous pericoronal radiolucency, root stump of 46 along with external root resorption of mesial root of 47. Mandibular cross-sectional Occlusal radiograph showed more of buccal with mild lingual cortical plate expansion w.r.t 44 45 46 region. OPG showed large well defined oval shaped corticated pericoronal radiolucency irt 45 with ill defined septa in between extending mesio- distally from mesial margin of 48 up to mesial margin of 43 superio- inferiorly from crestal bone ( 44 45 region) upto inferior border of body mandible. Also there is an impacted supernumerary tooth seen in 24 25 region. Radicular portion 44 was slightly mesially displaced, both roots of 47 were resorbed at the apex ( external root resorbtion) and the superior margin of inferior dental canal not appreciable. Incisional biopsy was performed under LA and H/P report was suggestive of infected Dentigerous cyst associated with impacted 45. Suggestions are welcome for Discussion. Thank You.

12 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
@I would like to add onto ur diagnosis part... To b more precise this is case of Inflammatory Dentigerous cyst.. There are two types of Dentigerous cyst : 1) Developmental associated wd any impacted tooth. 2) Inflammatory associated wd Pathology involved And Dd.. I wud Hv added Okc in D last as the lesion is showing bucco- lingual expansion Wat say?
All Answers
Nice case Dr Saloni Arora ur eminence in case presentation is appreciable. Prognosis for the dentigerous cyst is excellent, and recurrence is rare. This is related to the exhausted nature of the reduced enamel epithelium which has differentiated and formed tooth crown enamel before developing into a cyst. Nevertheless, several potential complications must be considered. The possibility that the lining of a dentigerous cyst might undergo neoplastic transformation to an ameloblastoma has been well-documented. Thereby early diagnosis and meticulous management are crucial.
Thanks for appreciating me @Dr. Kausar Yadwad ,, and putting your valuable opinion. Much appreciated.
@I would like to add onto ur diagnosis part... To b more precise this is case of Inflammatory Dentigerous cyst.. There are two types of Dentigerous cyst : 1) Developmental associated wd any impacted tooth. 2) Inflammatory associated wd Pathology involved And Dd.. I wud Hv added Okc in D last as the lesion is showing bucco- lingual expansion Wat say?
Absolutely @Dr. Haritma Nigam mam...that should be the perfect diagnosis for this case,, thanks for correcting me ma'am and putting your valuable opinion on this case. Many Regards

View 2 other replies

Good case @Dr. Saloni Arora and as always amazing case presentation.
Thanks @Dr. Ashish Tiwari ☺️☺️☺️

View 2 other replies

Extraction of the infected and impacted tooth under antibiotic cover
Thank you doctor
Good case...
Thank you sir...☺️☺️☺️
Superb presentation Dr. & full of useful information..
Thank you doctor
Nice Case. Thanks for Sharing
Thank you doctor
Nice
Thank you doctor

Cases that would interest you