Concluded Case

Above knee Amputation in Case of Diabetic foot With Gangrene

60 yr male with kco DM on Inj HM Came to my opd with Right diabetic foot with Maggots infestation with necrosis of underlying muscles with sepsis . Emergency Debridement done but during debridement extension slough with Muscle Necrosis noted so intraoperative decision of Above knee Amputation taken and done. Pt got discharged after 21 days with good General condition and controlled Blood Sugar level .

4 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer

As this pt is in septicemia when came to me so I have no option of salvaging limb but do extensive debridement....that's done but intraop muscle Necrosis and destruction of tendons made me feel better to do amputation as pt is old age and in septicemia...let's cut septicemia focus n see the result pt is absolutely fine after amputation in just 1 week and no any septicemia and threat to life remains there. Thanks all doctors for ur precious and kind words ❤️ Appreciated Ur Support ?

All Answers

Congratulations! Your case has been selected as Case of the day and you have been awarded 5 points for sharing the case. Keep posting your interesting cases, Happy Curofying!

Good decision Yes necrosis and gangrenous changes are upto below knee so Amputation above knee is right step

Sometimes we have to decide between life and limb. Take good care of the stump.

Very well performed surgery Above knee amputation was life saving in this case Life is precious!

Early stage before the limb shows signs of gangrene u should have tried limb saving attitude By doing thorough debroidment and using sterile Turpentine applications for meggets treatment I have handled many cases like this with good results

As this pt is in septicemia when came to me so I have no option of salvaging limb but do extensive debridement....that's done but intraop muscle Necrosis and destruction of tendons made me feel better to do amputation as pt is old age and in septicemia...let's cut septicemia focus n see the result pt is absolutely fine after amputation in just 1 week and no any septicemia and threat to life remains there. Thanks all doctors for ur precious and kind words ❤️ Appreciated Ur Support ?

Diseases Related to Discussion