AGARU Botanical name : Aquilaria agallocha Roxb Family : Thymeleaceae SANSKRIT SYNONYMS : Aguru, Krishnaguru AYURVEDIC PROPERTIES Rasa : Tikta, Katu Guna : Lakhu, Snigdha Virya : Ushna Vipak : Katu Prabhava : Sheet-prashamanak PLANT NAME IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES English : Eagle wood, Aloe wood Hindi : Agar Malayalam : Akil, Karakil Distribution : In the forests of Bhutan, Bengal, Assam and Myanmar. PLANT DESCRIPTION A moderate to large sized tree, grows about 20 m in height. leaves linear- lanceolate or sometimes ovate- oblong, long, silky glossy and faintly parallel nerved; flowers small, greenish on very slender pilose petioles found in umbels, on younger branchlets, fruits mildly compacted, tomentose capsules. The agar wood obtained is formed is the heartwood of old tree. The tree contains plenty of oleoresin. The wood burns with a bright flame giving off a pleasant smell, with cedar oil. MEDICINAL PROPERTIES Plant pacifies vitiated vata and kapha, halitosis, dyspepsia, anorexia, cardiac debility, skin disease, ulcers, inflammations, rheumatoid arthritis, cough, asthma, hiccough, kidney disease and general debility. Useful part : Heartwood, Oil. Various Yoga : Anu taila Chandanabalalaksadi taila Maha narayana taila Rasnadi churna Shrigopal taila Khadiradi gutika Rasnadi kwath churna Bala taila Brahmi vati (Swarna Yukta) Irimedadi taila

18 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Very nice information! Keep it up! Sir, I have hard time to understand medicinal properties in relation to dravya Gun, virya and vipaka. On CUROFY we have very intelligent Ayurvedic physician but I don't know how to initiate the discussion. Please if all Ayurvedic physician will respond that will be great!

Every Dravya have there own Rasa Guna Veerya Vipaka and Prabhava.... Again Rasa having influence of Pancha Mahabhoot, Rasa Act on Dosha, Six Rasa is explained in Ayurveda, I have already updated relationship between Rasa and Dosha....

View 2 other replies

@Dr. Hemant Adhikari Sir, First I start with my Best of lucks for your tiredless effort on Curofy. ----"Agaru" is a very important drug in Ayurveda and under threat on the way of extinct, so rare to find the original one in the market. -----Almost all the samples in market are adulterated and giving some colouring agent on upper surface to look it black. ---- Original Agaru is the " Ascomycetes Mould" infected Heartwood of Aquilaria agallocha tree ( interesting fact is that after infection with this Mould , the Heartwood gains its peculiar smell ) and used in Making perfumes, incense etc. Chyawanprash is a very common Aaushada Yoga of Agaru , here Agaru is used during decoction Preparation. @Dr. Hemant Adhikari Sir, although it has aromatic oils then why we use it in decoction Preparation for Chyawanprash ?

Thank you for maket update of this herb! Appreciated. I'm waiting for the article of विपाक!! :))

View 2 other replies

पुत्र डॉ हेमंत अधिकारी आप को यह किसने बनाया की यह अगर है अगर की पहचान है कि वह पानी में डूब जाती है कृष्ण वर्ण की अगर गुण कारी होती है। जलाने से खुशबू आती है।

Sir the 1st image you have uploaded it won't seems like Agaru. Anyhow nice explanation about the drug

Very good and informative post sir..thanks for sharing dis post sir.

Thanks ji Our Respected Doctor Saheb for your valuable information... ginger lime juice orange juice carrots apricots pomegranates sprouts kalijeeri alkaline diet dates...also help

Very Nice and informative post sir. Thank you for Sharing.

Have a look @Dr. Yashpal Chadha sir

Thank you Sir! Probably I'm not able to explain what I'm looking for! Let me try once more If virya is cold of herb and vipak the Ras after digestion is katu then what will be the action of herb on dosha or prakruti of person? Please don't mind I'm bothering you too much. @Dr. Hemant Adhikari But I always get confused with this ras, Guna, virya and vipaaka.

Informative post sir thank you

@Dr.A.K.Srivastava. Nice information.

Load more answers

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you