Concluded Case

80 yrs chulha smoker female, known copd ,off treatment since a year, presented with cough fever and dyspnea since last 5 days. HR 110, BP 140/100, spo2 50%. taken on NIV. RS-bil polyphonic wheezing with tachypnea. reports are attached. plz discuss approach to the case.

3 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
Chronic Chulha Smoking with h/o COAD Cough, fever n dyspnea Type 1 Respiratory Failure ECG showing LBBB Echo s/o Cor Pulmonale sec to Lung Disease with Pulmonary HTN HRCT shows b/l ground glassing and diffuse septal thickening with emphysematous changes... NIV (Bipap) with I/v steroids plus Respiratory Antibiotics plus Bronchodilators for in hospital treatment f/b long term LABA plus LAMA plus ICS for maintenance.... Pneumococcal and Influenza vaccine for Prophylaxis... Roflumilast to prevent exacerbations
All Answers
Sir, this seems to be a case of acute exacerbation of biomass fuel exposure COPD with pulmonary hypertension now presenting with acute on chronic type 2 respiratory failure. My line of treatment would be: Iv abx (preferably sputum/BAL guided) Bronchoscopy will provide diagnostic information and will also provide support in clearing secretions. Iv steroids NIV support to keep spO2- 88-92% Bronchodilators Mucolytics Diuretics if required. If wheezing or type 2 RF does not improve aminophylline infusion may be considered. What is interesting is.. that on discharge this patient will be a candidate for ICS+LABA+LAMA since biomass fuel induced COPD is now seen to be an eosinophilic process (according to recent studies).
Valuable opinion

View 3 other replies

Chronic Chulha Smoking with h/o COAD Cough, fever n dyspnea Type 1 Respiratory Failure ECG showing LBBB Echo s/o Cor Pulmonale sec to Lung Disease with Pulmonary HTN HRCT shows b/l ground glassing and diffuse septal thickening with emphysematous changes... NIV (Bipap) with I/v steroids plus Respiratory Antibiotics plus Bronchodilators for in hospital treatment f/b long term LABA plus LAMA plus ICS for maintenance.... Pneumococcal and Influenza vaccine for Prophylaxis... Roflumilast to prevent exacerbations
I agree
ABG S/o type 1 RF with metabolic alkalosis with compensatory respiratory acidosis , NiV plus for moderate PAH add tab dytor 5 mg 10 am od , for 5 days start inj solumedrol 125 mg, CXR s/o emphysematous changes with some B/l ring like opacities b/l mid zones prominent on rt side... Most probably bronchiectasis changes...sent sputum samples for AFB and pyo /s , pls tell TLC counts also , future plan FOB if pat stable and also vaccination.
Valuable opinion
RA ...and. RV.... ...are. Dilated.. Moderate. Pulmonary. HYPERTENSION.... with. Effusion...65 percent.. K / C / O.. .....C O P D... ACUTE. Exacerbation.... Corpulmonale... ADVISABLE..... 1. I / V...... INJ. Aminophylline ....over 10. Min. 2. Pulmoceph 500 3. Mucolytics 4. INJ. Dexa. ........I / V.. 5. Bronchodilators.. 6. INJ. Lasix.....I / V.. 7. Nebulization..
Thank you doctor
COPD with COR PULMONALE WITH TYPE 2 RESPIRATORY FAILURE with PAH Nebulization Diuretic Antibiotics Steroids BIPAP ( Ipapa/epap to be cautiously selectedas there are multiple bullae )
Thank you doctor
IT'S A CASE OF COPD..WITH.. RESPIRATORY ACIDOSIS..
Thank you doctor

View 1 other reply

Agree with Dr Dinesh Gupta.
Thanks Dr Dinesh Gupta.
Agreed with colleagues she is a c/o acute on copd with respiratory failure type 2 but she is in distress as abg suggest compensatory redp acidosis good line of treatment Dr Sandeep she has PH 50mm with diuretics i prefer bosantan as pt has dilated rt chambers I agree dr Tarang Kulkarni
Thank you doctor
Congratulations! Your case has been selected as Case of the day and you have been awarded 5 points for sharing the case. Keep posting your interesting cases, Happy Curofying!
Thanks
COPD Tab cefodroxil 200 BD Tab Mucinac 600 BD (water soluble) Tab Theophylline SR BD Syp Doxofylline. 10ml TDS
Thank you doctor
Load more answers

Cases that would interest you