Concluded Case

YOUNGER ONSET T2DM IS ASSOCIATED WITH INITIAL POORER GLYCEMIC CONTROL

Dear my friends and fellow Colleagues, Here is an update on Younger onset T2DM. Younger Onset of T2DM is associated With Poorer Initial Glycemic Control Gopalan A et al. Initial Glycemic Control and Care Among Younger Adults Diagnosed With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. May, 2020;43(5):975-81. Regards and thanks, Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan.

2 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
A useful information. Sir - I came across a patient , 6 months ago , a young boy of 16 years with obesity with blood sugar levels more than 300 mg % with symptoms of polyuria , polydypsia,only 3 months duration. On consultation with endocrinologist- he was put on OHG 's . Patient came to me because he didn't wanted to start diabetic medications and wanted a second opinion. I was in a dilemma whether he is having T1DM or T2 DM . But -since patient was seen by endocrinologist- I asked him to continue OHG's .He was a determined young boy and asked me if I can wait for 15 days before starting medications . I just give a nod .To my surprise after 15 days his blood sugar was 150 mg % and he told me that he had started a complete diet control of only fibres in diet and exercised in Gym for approximately 4 hours. After another 15 days his BSF was approx.100 mg % . He had reduced his weight by 4 kgs in 1 month. After that I lost contact with the patient. But he never OHG's . It was a new experience for me . Sir - your expert opinion regarding this case. Sir - your this post is relevant in this case . Thanks- Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan
All Answers
A useful information. Sir - I came across a patient , 6 months ago , a young boy of 16 years with obesity with blood sugar levels more than 300 mg % with symptoms of polyuria , polydypsia,only 3 months duration. On consultation with endocrinologist- he was put on OHG 's . Patient came to me because he didn't wanted to start diabetic medications and wanted a second opinion. I was in a dilemma whether he is having T1DM or T2 DM . But -since patient was seen by endocrinologist- I asked him to continue OHG's .He was a determined young boy and asked me if I can wait for 15 days before starting medications . I just give a nod .To my surprise after 15 days his blood sugar was 150 mg % and he told me that he had started a complete diet control of only fibres in diet and exercised in Gym for approximately 4 hours. After another 15 days his BSF was approx.100 mg % . He had reduced his weight by 4 kgs in 1 month. After that I lost contact with the patient. But he never OHG's . It was a new experience for me . Sir - your expert opinion regarding this case. Sir - your this post is relevant in this case . Thanks- Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan
Dear Parveen, What you said is absolutely correct in majority of the Young or otherwise T2DM patients. We regularly see such motivated patients in our day to day practice, but what I have observed is the initial dedication is lost in the later periods, leading to several complications. Most of the times the pathology behind T2DM patients is IR, Insulin Resistance. So Exercise, Diet, Weight Reduction automatically has a great impact on bloid glucose control. Regards and thanks, Dr Sepuri Krishna Mohan

View 1 other reply

Cases that would interest you