Pshychosomatic issues in chronic disease management

In this post firstly I discuss about what is psychosomatic disorders. then I discuss psychosomatic issues in chronic disease management. The term psychosomatic is derived from Greek word psyche (mind) and soma(body,). psychosomatic disorders is a disease which involves both mind and body. In ancient times, "psyche" meant soul or mind and recently it has been referred to as behaviour. Soma implies the body of the organism. DSM -II 1968 defined psychosomatic disorders as psychosomatic symptoms that are caused by emotional factors and involve a single organ system usually under autonomic nervous system innervations. classification - Depending on whether or not there is tissue damage psychosomatic disorders classify as follow. 1- first category include respiratory disturbances ( hyperventilation, pshychogenic cough), cardiovascular disturbances ( such as cardiac neurosis) ,skin disorders ( pruritis). In this type of pshychosomatic disorder, pshychological malfunctioning arising from mental factors and not involving the tissue damage and usually mediated through the ANS. 2- In this type of pshychosomatic disorder there is more often tissue damage is seen. this category include some pshychogenic conditions such as asthma, dermatitis, urticaria, ulcerative colitis, gastric ulcer. Now I discuss psychosomatic issues in chronic disease management. As we all know that chronic illness may also effect mental health through the mechanism of increased stress. So, while we treat a chronic illness we should must work on person mental status as well. For this we advice pt. to do some yog, meditation etc.

1 Like

LikeAnswersShare
Dear Dr.Bhawana Bhat ma'am, Nice article with nice concept. Keepit up.
Thank you doctor