CHARAK SERIES Chapter -1 Deergha Jeevitiya Adhyaya 03.07. 17 Very Good Afternoon to All. Glad to represent the next episode in the series of " CHARAK SAMHITA". We are already discussed the 41 ( Fourty One ) number of GUNAS as described in Ayurveda. Among the 41 GUNAS , till now we have described in details of Theoretical and Clinical aspects of " 10 PARADI GUNAS" and " 05 INDRIYA GUNAS". The rest of 2 I.e. " 06 ADHYATMA GUNAS" and " 20 GURVADI GUNAS" are going to be described in next episodes. Let us have a look on " 06 ADHYATMA GUNAS" and understand it's Theoretical and Clinical aspects in Chikitsha Karma. ////////////. TODAY 'S DISCUSSION. \\\\\\\\\\\\ ADHYATMA GUNAS In Ayurveda, The Chikitsha Purusha ( To whom we treat ) is described as - " PANCHAMAHABHUT SARIRI SAMAVAY PURUSHA " It means - we treat such an individual where the eternal relationship between the PanchaMahabhut ( Body ) and Shariri ( ATMA or Soul ) is well established. The qualities of PanchaMahabhut I.e. Under the section of 05 INDRIYA GUNAS ( Sabd, Sparsh, Rupa, Rasa, Gandha ) are already described and their Clinical aspects to disease Correlation in the PanchaMahabhut Body are mentioned in the previous 2 posts. Today we concentrate our discussion on the rest part of Chikitsha Purusha I.e. ATMA. So the Theoretical and Clinical aspects of these 06 ADHYATMA GUNAS help us to detect different diseases of Components of ATMA. I mean to say, these have great importance in diagnosing diseases of ManoVaha Srotas ( Psychiatric Diseases). 1. BUDDHI GUNA - What is Buddhi ? In this context, the Commentator " Dalhana" of Sushruta Samhita has described - " BUDDHI NISCHAYATMIKA " - By which we are able to get a definitive knowledge of Something ( Object, Animal, Human ) is called " Buddhi" - It has 4 components / Parts Smruti, Chetana, Dhruti, Ahamkar. ( CHAKRA DUTTA ) - Smruti - Related to Smaran - Memory - Chetana - Related to Chetas - Knowledge of Living Status ( Jivita Abasta) - Dhruti - Related to Dharan - Knowledge of taking decision which one is Good and bad; and prevents the mind and senses in indulgement of Bad things or thoughts. " DHRUTI HI NIYAMATMIKA" - Ahamkar - Related to AHAM - Knowledge of I and My ( self ) I.e. I am the Prime Minister, I am the reputed lawyer of my locality etc. Clinical Aspects - Any disturbances in the Buddhi GUNA by the 2 Manashik Doshas result disturbances in the functioning of its 4 components. As a result of which, the person is unable for self identification, doesn't know what is to be done or not, No idea about What is right or wrong, losses memory of past events - which are the main symptoms of almost all Psychiatric Diseases. Can be managed by proper counselling, go to the depth of cause for what these condition arises, Medicines which affect the Buddhi and it's components. 2. ICCHA GUNA - ( Desire ) Desire or Attachment in something or someone. Due to apart of this, the ICHHA GUNA is affected and it's symptoms are found in the activities I.e. Excessive cry, No reason Laugh, Talking with yourself, Not interested in anything. or Due to Excessive attachment, Anxiety, obsession are developed in mind. 3. DWESHA GUNA - ( Dislike ) Disliking or repulsion of someone or something. Due to by force involvement in things or in relationships, the DWESHA GUNA is affected as a result of which fear, depression, enemy feelings ,angriness are found. 4. SUKHA GUNA - ( Happiness) " ANUGRAHA LAKSHANAM SUKHAM" When the desired thing or person is available , SUKHA GUNA can be felt. Excessive involvement in SUKHA GUNA , resulting " Akarana Hasya "- No reason Laugh, "Akarana Vashya "- Absurd conversation or conversation with yourself,,. Anxiety, Unmadata etc. 5. DUKHA GUNA - ( Sadness ) "PRATIKULA VEDANIYAM DUKHAM" When the desired thing or person not available after several attempts, " DUKHA" GUNA can be felt. Excessive involvement in DUKHA GUNA, resulting Depression, frustration, Angriness, Suicidal thoughts, Not talking with anyone etc. 6. PRAYATNA GUNA - " PRAYATNA KARYA AARAMVESHU UTSHAHA" The act of something with full interest is called Prayatna. It shows a Stable and healthy state of Mind. lf the UTSHAHA ( interest ) becomes loosened or Decreased or Nil, then it may reflects the feelings of Faliure,Frustration, Udash Bhava( Not interest in anything ) Hope Today's Article is capable of bringing the basics behind the Psychiatric Diseases. Now is the time to give rest my Pen and Mind. N.B. - Sorry to inform you all, from tomorrow to next 3-4 days, I am unable to post the regular serious due to busy journey schedule. Thanks, With Regards, Vaidya Niranjan Ram

19 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Nice post sir. This is your PRAYATNA Guna by which you are regular in posting nice posts effortlessly ,regularly and few days back you were somewhat frustrated due to less response., and again you are back on track due to efforts of people like me This is I think is best example of PRAYATNA GUNA. EXCELLENT SHARE. THANKS .I BOW BEFORE YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION TOWARDS AYURVEDA.

Thank you @Dr. Aniruddha Lele Sir with Practical example of Myself......Ohhh.....Sheri.

View 6 other replies

What a chapter... Wonderful sir...too good... Just a little to add.. In some puranas there are also another types of adhyatmik guna had explained .. Like.. Buddhi (intellect) All the conducts of the living beings are by the means of buddhi (intellect). It is a daily needed guna required for various conducts, reactions and behavior. This guna is of two types: * Smruti * Anubhava Smruti This type of buddhi develops from sanskar (activity to improve something). Anubhava The part of buddhi (intellect) other than smruti is known as anubhava (expereince). This type of buddhi that all-living beings acquire by there experiences wrong and right. It is of two types: * Yathartha (real or truth) * Ayathartha (false) Yathartha It refers to the actual and not the virtual things, feelings or sense that give right knowledge and information. For example to recognize gold as gold, wood as wood. Ayathartha It refers to the wrong deed, things, feelings etc that give a wrong, false information. Example if someone considers aluminum as silver. The saying that every thing that glitters is not gold, holds true for ayathartha.. AND Iccha (desire) it refers to the wish of the any living being to achieve, get, do something that doesn’t already exist with him. There are many types of desires that living beings can have, namely: * Kaam (lust) * Abhilasha (desire) * Raja (love) * Sankalpa (vow) * Karunya (mercy) * Vyanga (Criticism) * Updha * Bhava The list of desires is endless. AND Dwesha (jealous) It refers to anything that irritates mind and body. It can also be explained as the feeling of inferiority of anyone respective of anything that remained an unfulfilled desire. It is of following types: * Krodha (anger) * Droha (rebel) * Manyu * Akshama AND Prayatna (efforts) It is of two types: Jeevan purvak (livelihood) These are the efforts done for surviving i.e. to fulfill the necessities of livelihood. for example: the food we eat, water to drink, shelter etc. Iksha Dwesha purvak (desire- jealousy) These are the efforts made to fulfill ones’ dreams and desires. When the desires are not fulfilled then jealousy arises.. Hope its useful.. Thank you..@Dr. Niranjan Ram sir..

Thank you very much Sir for this support and addition @Dr. Sushant Revadekar Sir.

Sorry @Dr. Niranjan Ram Due to very hectic schedule I m not able to reply as deserved . But I m regularly reading your posts. You r wonderful and regular in your highest efforts. Soon will discuss everything. Keep your moral up. Thanks dear

Not to worry Sir, I am trying my best but it is the decision of best readers like you@Dr. Himanshu Verma Sir, how you approach and appreciate the subject matter.

Wonderful Update @Dr. Niranjan Ram sir... In Clinical Practice we always neglect this portion.... Helpful.... Beautifully explained....

I am trying my best....Sir

View 1 other reply

Detailed description of atmagunas and their clinical implications too..All the Aystudents in this platform is really gifted to get a guide like you...Please do continue the seriies as you get back to routine....

I will try my best @Dr. Sonia P. Joseph Ma'am, But don't forget to Update the Details of Kizhi Procedures and teach Malayalam.

View 6 other replies

Well explained ADHYATMA GUNAS. Keep it up Dear Niranjan

Need your blessings always from the core of my heart @Dr. M V Subramanyam Sir.

View 1 other reply

Prayatna can make us disappointed sometimes but in long run it definitely will always be fruitful,Bcz hardwork never fails... u made it prooved by the increased appreciation n followers for ur good work day by day... Congratulations n awaiting to learn more n more from u n all the intellect curofians over here....very well explained the adhyatma gunas keep gng n good luck sir Thank u :-)

I am always trying my best @Dr. Kasi Harika Ma'am.

Excellent, excellent and just excellent!!

Agree excellent, excellent and excellent @Dr. Yashpal Chadha sir

Your efforts are speechless, every word & concept explained so briefly, you are reminding me our Guru's knowledge,given us,let this River of knowledge,u have started flow endlessly

I am trying my best....Requesting to regular touch with this series@Dr. Sonali Agashe Maam

Wonderful explanation sir@Dr. Niranjan Ram sir

Thank you Sir.
Load more answers

Diseases Related to Discussion