Dear Friends We often get cases of haemoptysis to manage. Let's have a detailed update…. HAEMOPTYSIS Differential Diagnosis of Hemoptysis PULMONARY PARENCHYMAL SOURCE.. Tuberculosis Pneumonia Lung abscess Lung contusion Mycetoma Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis Wegener granulomatosis Lupus pneumonitis Goodpasture syndrome TRACHEO-BRONCHIAL SOURCE.. Bronchiectasis Neoplasm Bronchitis Broncholithiasis Airway trauma Foreign body PRIMARY VASCULAR SOURCE Arteriovenous malformation Pulmonary embolism Elevated pulmonary venous pressure Pulmonary artery rupture MISCELLANEOUS AND RARE CAUSES Systemic coagulopathy or thrombolytic agents Catamenial hemoptysis (pulmonary endometriosis) PSEUDO HAEMOPTYSIS Upper airway source(like nose) Gastrointestinal source(haematemesis) Serratia marcescens (gram-negative bacterium that produces a red pigment that may be mistaken for blood) Malingering HOW HISTORY SUGGESTS…. ETIOLOGY OF HAEMOPTYSIS…        (1)h/o ANTICOAGULANT USE..     Coagulopathy (2)h/o COUGH…             Bronchiectasis, COPD, foreign body, pneumonia,  tuberculosis (3)h/o FEVER..    Tuberculosis, Bronchitis, lung abscess, neoplasm, pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, (4)h/oHEART DISEASE..         Congestive heart failure (5)h/o RECENT SURGERY OR IMMOBILIZATION…           Pulmonary embolism (6)h/o SMOKING…         Bronchitis, COPD, neoplasia (7)h/o SPUTUM PRODUCTION         Bronchiectasis, COPD, pneumonia, tuberculosis (8)h/o TRAUMA            Airway trauma, pulmonary embolism (9)h/o WEIGHT LOSS COPD, neoplasia, tuberculosis WORKUP AND MANAGEMENT Chest radiography.. Plain x-ray or CT thorax may provide clues about the etiology, as well as guide further resuscitation and evaluation. Treatment of the possible cause of haemoptysis should be initiated. Once the bleeding site has been determined, the patient should be placed in the lateral decubitus position with the affected lung down to prevent pooling of blood in the unaffected bronchial system. Rapid bleeding warrants immediate airway control with rigid bronchoscopy or endotracheal intubation Flexible bronchoscopy is less effective in maintaining a patent airway, but can provide useful diagnostic information. For stable patients with no identifiable cause detected.. chest CT angiography and/or bronchial artery arteriography with or without embolization should be performed. Thanks I hope this information on HAEMOPTYSIS will be HELPFUL to most of us Dr K N Poddar

27 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Wonderful update and detailed descriptions sir. You are not doing DIFFERENT things but you are doing DIFFERENTLY. All of us know more or less etiologies of HAEMOPTYSIS. But the way you have presented is very commendable. Good work sir and I'm very fortunate to have come across a KOL like you.

100 percent AGREE with you.

View 1 other reply

Thank you so much for ur wonderful post. .very nice discussion about the aetiology. .history. .then how to approach the hempoptysis. .very much useful flow chart and pictures sir. ..

Thanks Dr Suresh

View 1 other reply

Nice presentation sir Very helpful for reach a diagnosis Thank u sir

Thanks Dr garg

Nice illustration on hemoptysis. .quite helpful. ..

Thanks Dr Nath

Thank you sir.

Thanks Dr Aswin

Very nice.

Thanks Dr Giridhar

Very good diagramatic presentation for hemoptesis of different etiology pulmonary and non pulmonary thx dr poddar

Thanks Dr Joshi

Nicely illustrated doctor.Thanx for your valuable time u shared this helpful Post

tnx a lot,,emmensely important topic and hats off to u sir for teaching us

Thanks Dr Mishra

no word for your contribution and pain. too helpful , Thanks sir

vision broadened, till now I rule out few dd only , if not catch than advise CT chest/ HRCT or MRI, I save the case and will use it. If not to all but it's too useful specificly for me.

View 1 other reply

Load more answers