GUM INVOLVEMENT IN COVID-19- Indicative of need for ventilators

SCIENTISTS have discovered a link between life threatening corona virus infection and gum disease in new Research published 5 days back Researchers in California and Brazil found in a review of studies that COVID-19 patients with high levels of an inflammatory immune protein, called interleukin-6 (IL-6), that indicated they suffered from gum disease were far more likely to need ventilators to keep them alive.  Although IL-6 is involved in many diseases, prior studies have shown that deep cleanings and treatments for gum disease can reduce the levels of the inflammation-triggering protein, the researchers say.  Inflammatory IL-6 proteins flood the site of gum disease, but can then enter the bloodstream and travel to the lungs, increasing inflammation there, too, and therefore raising risks for life-threatening coronavirus infection, a new study claims For their paper which is soon to be published in Journal of the California Dental Association, the researchers reviewed previous work on gum disease, IL-6 and various other diseases, including coronavirus.  The most significant finding came from a German paper, published in April.  It found that COVID-19 patients who had high levels of IL-6 (above 80 picograms per milliliter) were far more likely to develop the life-threatening respiratory distress syndrome associated with the infection and need to be hospitalized.

6 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

After going through this latest - I was also surprised. I never thought gums - could any way be related to serious systemic diseases..Inflammatory IL- 6 proteins flood the site of gum disese and then can enter the blood stream and travel to lungs causing life -,threatening ARDS . Now - I realize the importance of General physical examination taught during our medicine clinical posting in M.B.B.S - where it was compulsory to mention the condition of teeth and gums

Finally Periodontal diseases getting their share of recognition...nice information I always taught my students about such systemic relationship with Periodontal maladies...

Valuable opinion

Now this post makes a complete sense during this pandemic relating to dental cause. Very much informative post doc! Thankyou

Thank you doctor

An excellent update . Thanx Dr.Praveenji

Thank you doctor

Very useful n informative post.

Thank you doctor

Very informative post sir.

Thank you doctor

Very informative post sir

Thank you doctor

Informative post Sir

Thank you doctor

Important post