My Grand son who is admitted in sirgangaram hospital in New Delhi.. NICU for prematurity of 27 weeks.. GSA with low birth weight 770 gms,for last 3 months,presentlystable and was tested BERA for hearing today. report is attached!, please comment valuableviews regarding prognosis and any further evaluation needed.

1 Like

LikeAnswersShare

Preterm Neonates are prone to Oxygen toxicity in retina and Hearing problem.......screening as BERA is done at around 12 weeks .PROFOUND HEARING LOSS is a bad prognostic sign .How much hearing will improve with Hearing aids we don't know .However the early the better .

Hearing prognosis is not good.Hearing aids advised. Present weight and development?

Prognosis is bad for hearing. Hearing aids may improve quality of life. Any other neurological involvement?. Present weight and mile stones?

This preterm will require cochlear implants, earlier is best to get better results. I think institute is one of best and delivering good results. This is awarding you grandson is progressing and gaining wt. You should discuss everything ind details. There may be other morbidity.

FIRSTLY PREMATURE CHILI'D HAD TO BE SEEN BY PAEFIATRIC OPHTHAOLOHISTJ89 LATER ONE HAD YO HO GOR YRDTING HIS RARD

Repeat BERA after 3-6 months . If the latency prevails, could opt for cochlear implantation as soon as possible.

My prayers are with your grandson. Hope he recovers. I would like to have USG reports if doneat 7 and 9 month.

Repeat Bera

For a profound sensory neural deafness in a new born..bilateral Cochlear implantations is d best solution. Check for any congenital anomalies of inner ear, n other syndromes. Wait till d baby fit for surgery get it done soon

Go for BERA after three months.....if results still same...Cochlear Implantation as soon as possible for good results..

Load more answers

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you