My uncle fell in Bathroom.. what would be best line of treatment for this fracture. I think he is scared of Surgery any other alternative??

2 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Dr Joshi stabilisation if the fracture and early mobilisation is the only way to give him useful function of his shoulder. K wire fixation will give excellent result however I follow a simple technique of Joshi external fixation which can be done even with local Anaesthesia and IV sedation if he is medically not fit for surgery. If course post op structured immediate progressive physio is mandatory.

dont worry..There is no need of surgery in this case..just apply shoulder immobilizer and sling for 15 days followed by sling only for another 2,weeks..it will heal...it should be followed by physiotherapy

# disdolation head of humerus, advised open reduction.

there is no dislocation of humeral head .it's an impacted FRACTURE .collar cuff sling with serial weekly x-rays and if displacement is seen go for Orif. avoid NSAIDS /SMOKING

Neck of humerus # Dear doctor follow below website for your queries : https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/surgerymobile

what is the age of the patient?? plz send an axial view for a better idea of displacement. Ideally ORIF is indicated. But if axial view shows acceptable displacement and patient not willing then immoblise with arm to chest immobiliser and do serial xrays every 7 days. If # has a tendency to displace then surgery shud be considered and reason explained to ptnt.

It is an impacted # of neck of lt humerus. no displacement or dislocation. U slab application may be helpful. .

ONLY COLLAR CUFF SLING IS REQUIRED.IF YOU PUT U SLAB THE IMACTED FRACTURE WILL DISPLACE.

after looking at ct report and xrays,i still vote for conservative ..100%gauranteed...These days operating eveey casw has become a fashion

thank you Dr Yamin

3 part # prox end humerus with ?# superior border scapula Your uncle must be around 70 with hopefully without any comorbidities . conservative treatment should be preferred

yes..he is 73 yrs old

RICE REST ( IMMOBILISATION) I-ICE THERAPY C-COMPRESSION E-ELEVATION

Usually when there is a fracture , it means that the force has dissipated and ligaments and cuff is intact !

OK but what about strength of the Muscles. Shoulder is most unstable joint is highly dependent on muscles. Considering with age the muscle might be thinner hence very difficult to strengthen or one has wait a lot.

View 1 other reply

Load more answers

Diseases Related to Discussion