Concluded Case

Newborn Child.. pneumonia

A term male is born via scheduled repeat cesarean section to a 28-year-old woman following an uncomplicated pregnancy. Serologic test results were unremarkable, including a negative screen for group B Streptococcus (GBS). The infant cries immediately at birth, and his Apgar scores are 9 at both 1 and 5 minutes. He was discharged at the 5 day. At 8 days of age, he presented with a 2-day history of nasal congestion, tachypnea, and reduced feeding. On admission of the patient to the emergency department, the temperature was 35.8°C, the pulse 186 beats per minute, the blood pressure 80/40 mm Hg, the respiratory rate 68 breaths per minute with apnea episodes, and the oxygen saturation 87% while the patient was breathing ambient air. Chest radiography performed after intubation showed bilateral infiltrates and partial collapse of the right upper lobe. Diagnosis?

3 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer

yesssssssss truly appreciate everyone's participation..infact it was pg neet preparation quiery posted in links..u all senior drs were ryt in suggestions and diagnosing the case..I'm truly humbled by ur response.thanking all once again..

All Answers

late onset neonatal sepsis / pneumonia / r/o meningitis too . cbc crp blood c/s arterial blood gas blood sugar lumbar puncture . wana see the xray too . tachycardia in newborn n small infant is a warning sign of sepsis . why was baby intubated . apnea is uncommon in term infants . place the baby on vent support iv antibiotics like inj ampicillin n inj cefotaxime inj kenadion iv fluids ionotrop support .

I agree

View 1 other reply

Inhalation pneumonia

Thank you doctor

View 1 other reply

Late onset sepsis with pneumonia..Investigations-CBC,CRP,serum calcium,blood glucose... Treatment-baby can be given a trial of bubble CPAP, inj ceftriaxone,inj amikacin Strict vital monitoring..

Thank you doctor

yesssssssss truly appreciate everyone's participation..infact it was pg neet preparation quiery posted in links..u all senior drs were ryt in suggestions and diagnosing the case..I'm truly humbled by ur response.thanking all once again..

Pneumonia

Thank you doctor

Septicemia

Thank you doctor

Septicemia

Thanku doctor..

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you