Concluded Case

Pneumonia Vaccine

Use of 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine and 23-Valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine for Adults with Immunocompromising Conditions: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Adults ages 19 to 64 with certain medical conditions (for example, kidney diseases, cigarette  smoking,  asthma, chronic heart or lung disease, asplenia, and conditions that cause weakening of the immune system like Diabetes) should receive one or two doses of PPSV23 given five years apart. Are we giving immunization to our adult patients, specifically those with Diabetes, CKD, COPD, CHF, Solid organ carcinoma, Sickle cell anemia and HIV ? If not, what is the rationale behind ? https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6140a4.htm

7 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer

Thanks again Dr Parvez for an useful post against vaccination in patients suffering from DM. Like Influenza, Pneumococcal Pneumonia is common and preventable disease. Patients suffering from DM are at more risk of Bacteremic form of Pneumococcal infection and have been reported to have been to have a high risk of nosocomial bacteremia with a mortality rate of more than 50%. All patients suffering from DM 2 yrs of age and older should receive the Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine 23, PPSV 23. The ADA endorses the CDC advisory panel recommendations that both Pneumococcal conjugate Vaccine 13, PCV 13, and PPSV 23 should be administered to all adults aged more than 65 yrs of age routinely. But in fact there is a big resistance to these Vaccination from Patients side. We are not able to follow the recommendations of CDC & ADA. MSD people have the Vaccines, but they also keep silent with out creating a sort of awareness to the needy patient population. Very unfortunately I am not successful in this aspect of Vaccination against Pneumococcal Pneumonia infection. May be this is my failure or the non co operation of my patients. Thanks again Dr Parvez for playing a key role in Curofy, that was my wish, desire and dream too.

All Answers

Thanks again Dr Parvez for an useful post against vaccination in patients suffering from DM. Like Influenza, Pneumococcal Pneumonia is common and preventable disease. Patients suffering from DM are at more risk of Bacteremic form of Pneumococcal infection and have been reported to have been to have a high risk of nosocomial bacteremia with a mortality rate of more than 50%. All patients suffering from DM 2 yrs of age and older should receive the Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine 23, PPSV 23. The ADA endorses the CDC advisory panel recommendations that both Pneumococcal conjugate Vaccine 13, PCV 13, and PPSV 23 should be administered to all adults aged more than 65 yrs of age routinely. But in fact there is a big resistance to these Vaccination from Patients side. We are not able to follow the recommendations of CDC & ADA. MSD people have the Vaccines, but they also keep silent with out creating a sort of awareness to the needy patient population. Very unfortunately I am not successful in this aspect of Vaccination against Pneumococcal Pneumonia infection. May be this is my failure or the non co operation of my patients. Thanks again Dr Parvez for playing a key role in Curofy, that was my wish, desire and dream too.

Partially successful,partially failure to implement Vaccination to adults suffering from DM. Honestly.

Thanks Dr Parvez sir for initiating a very important discussion. Pneumococcal vaccination is very important for pts of Diabetes and other high risk groups as mentioned in the link. But it is not very commonly practiced even at tertiary centres in India due to lack of awareness amongst health providers and also due to cost of vaccination. At my place, it is very difficult to convince pts for pneumo vaccine due to cost factor only. still I try to convince the pts of high risk groups specially DM with Asthma or COPD or any respiratory pathology. Thanks again.

Thank you Dr. Lele, Dr. Singh, Dr. Mohan, Dr. Khan, Dr. Nayak, Dr. Gupta and Dr. Jain, for participating in the discussion. Cost analysis when explained to the patients will definitely encourage them to comply with vaccination. It is good that more than 90% children in India are vaccinated but unfortunately, less than 1% of adults receive vaccinations. Time to focus more on this aspect of Preventive Medicine.

Absolutely Correct Dr Parvez

Yes Dr parvez we should recommend the vaccine for the mentioned medical cinditiin. I do it for my patients of multiple myeloma for whom I plan Bone marrow transplant in future, because in BMT there is a significant marrow depression risking patients life. So we plan much before the BMT during the induction or start of chemotherapy.

I agree with Dr.Parvez and all above participating doctors,we must advice and make awareness amongst the doctors around and the patients. There is lack of awareness even many doctors are unaware. I suggest my patients for vaccines,but the only problem is cost still the number of patients going for vaccine are more.

Thanks dear Vijay

I request the doctors who do and who do not prescribe vaccination to adult patients, to please take active participation in this discussion. It will finally help to create more awareness and increased standard of care for our patients.

yes sir .in regular practice very few doctors are prescribing or advising this vaccine which is bitter truth. nice question raised sir .thanks

Very important & marvelous knowledge sharing with us regarding vaccinations in immunocompromised person .Thanks Dr Mohamed Parvez

thanks dr.parvez.is this vaccine safe for adult pregnant pt.with pLHA?

Dear Trupti, As per the latest recommendations of NHS, Pneumococcal Vaccination is safe in pregnancy and lactation too. Reference Recommendations of NHS, February 29, 2016. NHS National Health Services, UK.

View 3 other replies

Impressive my chest physician advise

Cases that would interest you