Quick Recall

A 3 year old N, is brought to the ER by his mother who tells Doctor M that she noticed one of the button batteries missing in her child’s toy. She’s assuming the child has accidentally ingested it. What should doctor M do?

119 Votes

3 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

First prophylactically administer honey plus sucralfate1gm 6hrly.we should relie on mother and treat it.There is no harm in giving honey +sucalfate instantly. Then do endoscopy.incase of battery injury to git endoscopy is very difficult and harm is more than benefit to the child.

The correct answer is, "Administer honey + sucralfate to reduce injury in case of accidental ingestion" Reference: National Capital Poison Center Button Battery Ingestion Triage and Treatment Guideline

This is a dire emergency ! Need to indoor , urgent eveluation by doing GE csopy , diagnostic and therapeutic,if not to rule out and if yes to remove gently before corrosive effects start s !

D) first confirm the ingestion of button battery By conducting tests.

Thanks Dr Dinesh Gupta
0

Confirm ingestion

ADMINISTER LAXATIVE AND SEE WHETHER BUTTON IS IN STOOLS IN THE MEAN TIME DO PERIODIS ULTRASOUND ABDOMEN

ADVISABLE 4...... FIRST. CONFIRMATION....