Concluded Case

Severe osteoarthritis and it's orthotics management.

An woman 74 years suffered from severe pain in both knees as she heard about my clinic. Her son and daughter in law brought to my clinic. Due ageing process TKR was not possible also COVID-19 pandemic disease time was a issue for surgical intervention. So we decided another option for orthotics management by off loading knee braces. Chief Complaints 74 years old woman was unable to perform her activities of daily living and bed ridden since 5 years due severe pain in both knees as well as swelling. Body wieght about 105 kg. History Due osteogenic and osteoarthric changes in both knees having osteoarthritis. She was unable to stand and walk. During lock down in COVID-19 time she visited my clinic for orthotics management for ambulatory support . Since 14 year she was unable to pray Ardaas at her near by Gurudwara Shahab. Vitals Due to such problems having high blood pressure and thyroid levels were also irregular. Physical Examination Both knees having osteoarthritis and genu varus deformities as well as unstable standing position. Investigations X-ray showed decreased space between medial condyles of tibia and femur of both knees. Diagnosis Not required for her. Management After assessment we find the way to off loading knee braces 10-20% . With proper knee support she may have little relief during standing and walking. According to the line of treatment donning and doffing time will increase from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours daily with interval of 15-30 minutes. She got it from day one to day 10. She is happy with the light weight osteoarthris orthotics management. Performing limited activities of daily living.

6 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer

Severe OA b/l knee ideal case for TKR Offloading knee braces for weight are only subjective treatment She needs to shade off the wt will need surgery

All Answers

This aged lady has got severe degerative changes of knees with irregularities if articular surfaces of both tibia and femur due to osteo phytes and with grips diminished of joint spacesand gross genu varus deformity. I think due to red ridden for prolong period and not going for weight bearing there is disused atrophy of the muscles related to knee movements so there is inability to stand initially and attributed by geru varus deformity. Treatment wise she a an ideal patient for TKR as age is not the contraindication more over due to genu varus there is defective weighting leading to more pain. Beside surgical intervention A physiotherapy to strengthen the muscle particularly the quadriceps muscles which is also necessary if she goes for knee replacement Knee braces to use Cap Uprise 60K twice in wk at least for 3 months Calcium supplement. NSAID sis with PPI.

Valuable opinion

View 5 other replies

? OA .. ? KNEE ARTHROPATHY.. NEED'S.. SYMPTOMATIC T/T..WITH CLINICAL CORRELATION.. KNEE BRACES .. ARTHROPLASTY ..

Thank you doctor

View 1 other reply

Severe OA b/l knee ideal case for TKR Offloading knee braces for weight are only subjective treatment She needs to shade off the wt will need surgery

I agree

View 1 other reply

Dr. Mrinal congrats for management of knee joint pain. Actually my wife also suffer from the same problem. Where can I get the brace, I'm residing in kanpur. drpcsrivastav

Thank you doctor

View 2 other replies

She is having severe oa knees... must need total knee replacement... for better outcome... conservatively we can treat her by this... but it is not permanant solution... bcz by time... changes will be increasing.. and deformity will increasing... so better to go with total knee replacement

Thank you doctor

Hi this side dr Neeraj Kumar Choudhary from Bijnor Uttar Pradesh I am a phytotherapaist I am treated this type of patients so first of all we reduced weight according to hight then we r suggest to do exercise and doing phytotherapatic application contact me

Thank you doctor

Its not comfortable to walk

Valuable opinion

Diseases Related to Discussion