Unhealed tongue lesion

Chief Complaint A 75-year-old female presents with a painful lesion over the tongue. History This patient came to us with the tongue lesion 1 month back. We found the culprit was a decayed molar which we smoothed at that time but the lesion was not healed and the patient came back with pain. Examination Examination shows an irregular, pinkish-white ulcerated lesion on the left lateral and ventral surfaces of the tongue. Lesion has been increased in size a little and is painful. Diagnosis Should we go for biopsy? Treatment What should be prescribed untill then?

3 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

? ULCER TONGUE.. NEED'S TO. R/O.. MALIGNANCY.. WITH.. HPE STUDY..

I think you should go for biopsy since the lesion didn't respond to the treatment with in a period of 2 weeks. check the habits of the patient, and examine the lesion. the borders seem to be elevated, was the base indurated too? I'd prescribe Rexidine M Forte ointment (Metronidazole+Lignocaine topical+ CHX) since the lesion is painful (i.e, probable superadded infection to the malignant lesion) and tablet Zn+multivitamins with that. If the whitish patches are scrappable, I'd suspect superadded candidiasis and prescrible Candid MouthPaint (clotrimazole) along with that. Hope this helps.

Check for habits , sharp teeth , and induration of the lesion... If induration present diopsy. Keep her on antioxidants and smoothen cusp tips. Await biopsy for report.

Adv: Biopsy

Leukoplakia

Diseases Related to Discussion