Covid 19 and children

We have seen hundreds of moderate to severe Covid 19 cases in adults We have seen many adults requiring ventilation in Covid 19 We have seen few adults succumb to Covid 19 Compare that with children, we have seen very few children getting severe Covid, we have seen only one case of MIS-C, Definately a minuscule number as compared to adults Was it the same case when last epidemic of H1N1 stuck India, so many children were affected and so many children even succumbed to H1N1, Many infant and neonates were also severely affected, at that time theory was propagated that children's immunity is not yet mature, the immune system is not exposed to infectious agent, therefore they get severe disease. If we were to go back in time of infectious diseases - Small pox - plague epidemic/pandemic, and Polio, Mumps, Measles, Tuberculosis - name any of infectious diseases - all affected children - infants... But why is it not true for Covid 19? Over all children are relatively safe! In spite of large number of adults requiring ICU support and thousands of them dying every day - we hardly hear any child having severe disease - if at all they can be counted on tip of fingers! I have proposed this theory through my article - Coronavirus enters through ACE 2 receptor, presense of ACE 2 receptor is insulin dependent. Children's have robust insulin secretion and lowest HbA1c as compared to entire population, this significantly reduces ACE 2 receptor in children. That is the reason why few children get Covid 19 disease and very few get severe disease and mortality in children is extremely low. Basic pathology of coronavirus is to enter through ACE 2 receptor, that is the reason why children do not get severe disease as they have low number of ACE 2 receptor. This pathology is unlikely to change in mutant on coronavirus as all of them preserve the basic mode of entry. Therefore, I do not subscribe to hypothesis, that third wave of Covid 19 would affect children as that population is not vaccinated. I therefore propose - Children are inherently resistant to Covid 19, that is the reason why they are protected and they will remain protected even in third wave! For further reading please go through my article https://jmscr.igmpublication.org/home/index.php/archive/178-volume-08-issue-07-july-2020/9517-use-of-insulin-in-treatment-of-covid-19-a-proposal-to-explore-feasibility

4 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Good hypothesis ,let us see in 3rd wave as scientists are fearing. Is there any study over incidence of infection in persons taking ARB (ACE inhibitors) and whether it was mild .Or the blockage is at different levels?

Good job

Thank you doctor

Sir I covey my salute to you. With regards

Thank you doctor

Need of the hour to think about children's. Very well presented sir.

Very rightly put

Thank you doctor

Same belief

Thank you doctor

I am of the same belief.

Thank you doctor

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you