What dose of steroids are you treating moderate/ severe covid pneumonia,Plz Share ur experience...

LikeAnswersShare

I think - we are using steroids in very high dose .It should be discouraged. This is the,reason for increased incidence of mucormycosis and increased mortality due to secondary complications associated with decreased immunity When corona pandemic started - recommended dose of steroids,was Dexamethasone 6 mg / day. I feel -- Dexamethasone should not be increased beyond 6 - 8 mg / day . If oral steroids,to used - I preferred Deflazacort 6- 12 mg than methyl prednisone .Also in Diabetic patients- Deflazacort do not significantly alter the glycaemic index - where as most patients on methyl prednisolone significantly raised blood sugar levels.

Doses of steroids depends on clinical status of individuals As a rule Prednisolone 10mg tds for 7days tapper off to bd and od as per recovery Dexamethasone 6to8 mg tds in tappering doses Deflazocort 6mg 1tds for 7to15 and reviewed Comorbidies are kept in consideration while pt is on steroids

Thanx dr Manjeet Khalsa

Overall, the findings suggest that steroid treatment could reduce death rates among pneumonia patients from about 9 percent to10 percent now, to 5 to 6 percent, according to the study published online Aug. 10 in the Annals of Internal Medicine

DOSE OF .. STEROIDS IN COVID 19 CASES .. DEPENDS UPON .. CLINICAL PICTURES .. AS WELL AS .. SEVERITY .. DEXAMETHASONE. 6 TO 8 MG BD .. DEFLAZACORT 12MG BD .. WITH .. TAPERING DOSE SCHEDULE ..

80 mg of Inj Medrol I v for one week then depending upon the condition of patient

Dexamethasone 6 to 8 mg daily for5 to 7 days then taper rapidly Methylprednisolone 1 to 2 mg per kg of body wt in two divided doses for 5 days

Methyl predni 40 mg bd iv for 7 day than tapper 20 bd on switc off than 10 bd 5 bd for 3 day

24 mgs _32 mg of madrol

Steroids are to be given on the start of 2nd week after onset of illness that is start of cytokine storm. That is the most important point to remember. Other things have been discussed. If given early then it will increase the mortality and morbidity and late usage will not result in any benefit out of it.

Tab dexamethasone 6mg BD

Load more answers

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you