Why mental confusion after fifty

Reasons for this: Mental confusion in the third stage of age By: Arnoldo Liechtenstein, Physician. Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in their fourth year of doctorate, I ask the following questions: What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly? Some suggest: "Tumors in the head". I answer: No! Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I will not answer again! With each denial of their response, their reactions dry up. When I list the three most common reasons, they become more open: - Uncontrolled diabetes - Urinary tract infections; - Dehydration This may sound like a joke, but it's not. People over the age of 50 stop feeling constantly thirsty and stop drinking fluids as a result. When there is no one around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the whole body. It causes sudden mental confusion, low blood pressure, increased heart rate, Angina (chest pain), coma and even death. This habit of forgetting to drink fluids starts at the age of 50 when you have more than 50% water in your body. People over the age of 50 have low water reserves. This is part of the natural aging process. But there is another complication. Even if they are dehydrated, they do not feel like drinking water, as their internal control system does not work very well. Conclusion: People over the age of 50 are easily dehydrated, not only do they not have a water supply but they also do not feel dehydrated. Although people over the age of 50 look healthy, the reduced efficiency of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body. So here are two caveats: 1) Get in the habit of drinking *. Liquids include water, juice, tea, coconut water, milk, soup and juicy fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peach and pineapple; Oranges and tangerines also work. The important thing is, you need to drink a little liquid every two hours. Remember this! 2) Warning to family members: Give fluids constantly to people above fifty. At the same time, observe them. If you notice that they are refusing fluids, even from one day to the next, they will become irritable, have difficulty breathing, lack of calm and consistency (attention), these are almost certainly frequent symptoms of dehydration. Arnoldo Liechtenstein (46), physician, general practitioner at the Hospital Das Clinicus and associate professor in the Department of Clinical Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of S साo Paulo (USP). If you like it, don't forget to spread the word! You need to get to know your friends and their family, including yourself, and help you stay healthy and happy. It's great to share this for people over 50!

2 Likes

LikeAnswersShare

Brilliant decision...thanks Doctor for your valuable information

Thank you doctor

View 1 other reply

Diseases Related to Discussion

Cases that would interest you