Concluded Case

COVID- 19 - Hydroxy chloroquine use debate

More than 100 scientists and clinicians have sent an open letter to The Lancet's editor, Richard Horton, and the paper's authors asking them many uncomfortable questions, but have failed to receive convincing answers from the authors. How can a drug like Hydroxychloroquine produced in such huge quantities for a country as populous as India, safely consumed by millions & millions of chronic users for so many decades without any adverse effects, suddenly get a negative report in 2020 when it's most needed for a pandemic such as COVID -19? Lancet faces severe criticism from scientific community:Hydroxy quinoline study is hiding data . In my opinion- we are using Hydroxy chloroquine for many years for prolonged periods for Rheumatoid arthritis, SLE , Malaria, Malaria prophylaxis .I don't think incidence of QT prolongation was high despite we are using for many years. Now,suddenly for COVID-19 prophylaxis the dose is 400 mg B.D Ist day and then weekly 400 mg O.D . I don't think- this dosage is going to cause any serious side effects- provided we are not using in persons with Cardiovascular disorders. For moderate to severe COVID- 19 patients dose is 400 mg B.D day 1 and 200 mg B.D for 4 days .Even this short course is not going to cause serious side effects. As india is largest producer of HCQS, indian doctors have lot of experience of using HCQS and we have seen good results for prophylaxis in COVID- 19 for corona warriors as per ICMR guidelines- then why USA and Lancet like reputed journals are biased and hiding the data. We on curofy should have open discussion on this burning issue. Opinions from experts are welcomed.

29 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Concluded answer
Very true. We have been using HCQ for decades in autoimmune diseases like RA SLE& since a decade in post viral arthralgias like post dengue chikunguinea with very decent results. I personally am using for prophylaxis in this covid pandemic for prophylaxis along with my doctor colleagues & paramedicos without any major side effects For QTC prolongation we should keep a close watch in persons with comorbid ailments
All Answers
Very true. We have been using HCQ for decades in autoimmune diseases like RA SLE& since a decade in post viral arthralgias like post dengue chikunguinea with very decent results. I personally am using for prophylaxis in this covid pandemic for prophylaxis along with my doctor colleagues & paramedicos without any major side effects For QTC prolongation we should keep a close watch in persons with comorbid ailments
Valuable opinion
Two important links, Sir : https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2020/may/29/icmr-writes-to-who-disagreeing-with-hcq-assessment-officials-say-international-trial-dosage-four-ti-2149702.html https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/4-hydroxychloroquine-hcq-doses-coronavirus-healthcare-workers-icmr-1684112-2020-06-01
Thank you Sir for the valuable opinion. That is why I started the debate to prove a point that we are proud of ICMR and ICMR is a reputed and scientific institution and we Indian doctors should overwhelmingly support ICMR and not the biased western media
I m working presently in COVID-19 care centre.I m giving HCQ to all Positive,And I HV seen they r recovering asymptomatically and Negative within a week . That is my experience for share .
Valuable opinion

View 1 other reply

Respected sir. Are u using it as prophylaxis. I think problem of prolonged qt interval is aggravated when it's combined with azithromycin.
I would not recommend along with Azithromycin for prophylactic use . Definitely then chances if QT prolongation are there
I agree with Dr Partha sarathi Sahana and Dr Manohar Rao. Actually we are wondering here and there to find solution to answer covid 19 viral infection. We are working as unskilled force and in unplanned manner to get rid of this red dragon , presently we must accept our defeat but fight we will be continue in more planned and with scientific evidence.
Valuable opinion

View 2 other replies

It is not today's thing, Western media has been influenced by many factors. If we correlate thoroughly we will be able to understand how everything works. We should keep politics out from the field of medicine to see the actual results.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY ALL RIGHT DR. TWARA AASHISH.......

View 1 other reply

I feel it has effect as prophylactic agent...however it needs study why not in out scenario...though we as healthcare workers are prone to repeated exposure and yo various strains....so results may vary....
I agree

View 3 other replies

I would start the discussion with the point that President Donald Trump himself used HCQS prophylactically - there must be some scientific advice to him
Think of corona worrior use with caution do ecg then decide iindia we use for ra safely prolongation of qt interval heard of icmr is supporting
I agree with your point sir as already Mr Donald Trump have said he took HCQ as recommended by his doctor.
Thank you doctor
Load more answers

Cases that would interest you