Hypothyroid patient allergic to levothyroxine whats the alternative??

2 Likes

LikeAnswersShare
Persay hypothyroid patient is not allergic to Levothyroxine tablet but allergic to the active ingredients or excipients such as food dyes, alcohol, magnesium stereate,povidine, and talk present along with Levothyroxine tablet. The allergy can cause rash, urticaria, angioedema,fever, arthralgia , serum sickness and GI reaction such as diarrhoea by aggravating underlying coeliac disease or lactose intolerance,etc. These symptoms disappear once you stop taking the drug. Only alternative to Levothyroxine tablet is taking Levothyroxine in gelatin capsule which contains three inactive ingredients like glycerine, gelatin and water. These capsules which are bio equivalent to the Levothyroxine tablets free of dyes, gluten, lactose, sugar and alcohol and other ingredients that cause allergic reactions . Tirosint gelatin capsule is alternative to Levothyroxine. Armour thyroid is another natural product made from animal thyroid glands alternative to Levothyroxine. Ask the patient to take food rich in iodine. Another option is to stop Levothyroxine tablet when Patient developed allergy to it and start antihistamines. Start again with a low dose of thyroxine after one week and look for allergy , if patient develops allergy ,we have to stop inevitably Levothyroxine tablet.
Thank you Dr Ankit Hissaria for tagging me. I gave the answer as per my knowledge.
Thank you doctor

View 2 other replies

Armour thyroid

Cases that would interest you