How to differentiate iodine sufficient hypothyroid patient's vs iodine deficient hypo patients ??

LikeAnswersShare
Thanks for tagging me Dr Ankit Hissaria. There are no specific tests to diagnose and confirm the amount of enough iodine in the body. When the iodine deficiency is diagnosed across populations and not in specifically individuals. Iodine is released from the body through urine. Then only we will screen for iodine deficiency. The best way to screen iodine deficiency in large population with iodine deficiency is Screening the urine samples for iodine. Iodine deficiency is defined as median urinary iodine concentration less than 100 ug/ L in a non pregnant population Or less than 150 ug/ L in a population of pregnant women. When iodine deficiency is seen in entire population, it can be managed by common foods that people can eat contain sufficient levels of iodine . Severe iodine deficiency can cause Hypothyroidism. Mild to moderate deficiency of iodine cause multi focal autonomous growth of thyroid which results in thyrotoxicosis. On the other hand iodine excess is associated with development of Hypothyroidism and Thyroid autoimmunity. Iodine is known to control Thyroid function. It's main effects are to decrease response of Thyroid to thyrotropin ( TSH). Iodine deficiency is associated with increased Goitre rate. WHO ,UNICEF, ICCIDD( international council for control of iodine deficiency disorders) simplified goitre classification. Grade 0 is Thyroid is not visible or palpable. Grade 1 is enlarged Thyroid gland that is palpable but not visible when neck is in normal position. Grade 2 is enlarged Thyroid that is clearly visible and palpable in normal neck position. Coming to your question, 1) In cases of iodine sufficient Hypothyroidism small amounts of thyroglobulins are secreted in circulation and serum Tg is normally less than 10 mg/L. 2) In cases of iodine deficiency Hypothyroidism, serum Tg increases due to greater Thyroid cell mass and TSH stimulation. 3) Serum Tg is well correlated with severity of iodine deficiency.
Like always,perfect answer which cleared my concepts thnks a lot mam from the core of my heart,yet one doubt mam,should we assume every hypothyroid patient as iodine deficient and start thyroid supplements containing iodine,zinc ,selenium and if yes then chances of iodine toxicity rises in iodine sufficient hypothyroid patients,plz clear my doubt thanks in advance

View 4 other replies

Hypothyroidism due to iodine deficiency is ascocited with goiter due to high TSH level and it is endemic to particular region But due in iodine sufficient area hypothyroidism is mainly due to auto immune Or thyroid agenesis , is not necessarily associated with goitre...
Thank you doctor
We can look for iodine deficiency by urinary iodine excretion
Thank you doctor